05 August 2014

Returning to the Biggest Carrot Show and playing with my Nikon D3300 DSLR



Part of a flower arrangement inside the agricultural show tent at the Latchley, Chilsworthy and Cox Park Show, Cornwall, July 2014.

In preparation for my Year Abroad, I've invested in a new camera to take with me to Germany. It's a Nikon D3300 DSLR, which my camera-savvy dad tells me is a nice little starter camera for somebody who, a year ago, was relying on an iPad for photographing purposes. It's considerably smaller than his own camera, and nice and light to carry around, which makes it perfect to take on any potential trips and outings at home and abroad.

Once I'd remembered to take off the lens cap, I was pleasantly surprised by how easy the D3300 was to use; at the moment, I have everything set to 'auto' while I learn what all of the different functions do, but I've still taken some nice pictures. The seven photos in this post were taken last week before, during and after the Latchley, Chilsworthy and Cox Park Show, which, as you may remember, I visited last year at the very start of my blogging escapades, way back when everything had to be Instagrammed to oblivion.

Editing-wise, I've not done a great deal to the photos I've taken with the D3300 so far, although I've enjoyed playing around with things like the contrast and gamma correction in IrfanView. I'm looking forward to experimenting with some of the camera's inbuilt settings once I get used to it a little more, so I'll keep updating as I learn more - and, of course, as I go on the trips to take the pictures in the first place!

A beetle, photographed at Kit Hill, Cornwall, July 2014.

Close-up of a hanging basket outside the agricultural show tent at the Latchley, Chilsworthy and Cox Park Show, Cornwall, July 2014.

A cockerel, photographed outside Louis Tearooms at Kit Hill, Cornwall, July 2014.

Looking across from Kit Hill, Cornwall, towards Plymouth, Devon, July 2014.

Close-up of Maisie, our Bengal-tabby cross.

Camera shy! Taken by Oli, July 2014.


No comments:

Post a Comment